SeromYx Systems is a biotechnology service company that provides clients and partners with unprecedented insight into the functional antibody response, based on the Systems Serology platform developed at the Ragon Institute of MGH, MIT and Harvard. Systems Serology is increasingly recognized as the gold standard in interpreting humoral immune responses and correlating them with clinical outcome. As such, it is being used to tackle many of the most pressing and important challenges in immunology: see, for example, its use to develop a malaria vaccine, Suscovich et al., Sci. Transl. Med. 12, eabb4757 (2020); Das et al Med(Cell Press) 2(11):1269-1286.e9 (2021). Malaria is one of the largest causes of mortality in children under 5 globally.
Starting operations at the end of 2019, in its first two and a half years, we have doubled in size, driven by client demand in both vaccines and monoclonal therapeutics, and targets ranging from blockbuster indications to neglected tropical diseases. We have made significant contributions to the fight against SARS-COV-2, including support for Phase 3 trials, natural history of disease longitudinal studies, multinational correlates of protection/vaccine breakthrough analyses, next generation vaccine development support and the characterization of several therapeutics including monoclonal antibodies. Clients range from the world’s largest pharmaceutical and vaccine companies to biotechs to leading non-governmental public health organizations.
Looking forward, we expect a further growth of 50-100% in revenues and profits, as we support the discovery and development of second-generation coronavirus vaccines, as other client projects move into BLA-enabling studies, as we expand our NTD business and as we grow into new therapeutic areas such as autoimmunity and oncology. As one further consequence of our success, we outgrew our original space and moved into new build custom labs in Woburn, MA in Q2 2022.
We are seeking a talented, experienced, and motivated individual to join our growing team as Computational Biologist. Candidates must have a Bachelors or Masters in a quantitative discipline. Possible disciplines include, but are not limited to, computational biology, bioinformatics, systems biology, bioengineering/biomedical engineering, genomics, computer science, statistics and data science. The ideal candidate will have requisite machine learning and programming skills. Candidates with varying degrees of experience will be considered for the position (those with 0 years of experience after their undergraduate degree are also eligible to apply), and salary will be commensurate with experience. Candidates with training in immunology would be preferred, but this is not essential to apply to this position.
You will be a key contributor to various client and research projects, as well as supporting the development of robust internal data management and quality control tools and processes. Your responsibilities will include quantitative analysis, structuring and making client presentations and creating client reports, and working within a larger team on a regular basis. You should be a team player able to excel in a fast-paced, collaborative environment. Your work will be overseen by a Computational Biology consultant for the company. You will report to the VP, Research.
Here’s what you will be doing:
- Prepare and execute plans for machine learning analyses of high-dimensional datasets characterizing various aspects of the humoral and cellular immune responses in a wide range of contexts. These datasets are generated by high-throughput experimental modalities.
- Participate in our ongoing relationship with our computational consultant (who is a partner leading his independent academic research lab), ensuring that he provides supervision and input at appropriate times and that the required analyses progress consistent with project timelines
- Participate in the preparation of written reports and oral presentations summarizing computational analysis of results, including detailed analysis of results, and synthesis of conclusions
- Have some statistical expertise to participate in the design of research projects, focusing on fundamental issues including specification of hypotheses and basic study design.
- Support compliance with relevant GxP requirements and data quality standards, including providing biostatistics support for QC processes
- Build over time an internal computational biology capability and toolkit, guided by our academic partner
- Maintain reliable and accurate record-keeping following good documentation practices.
What are we looking for?
- Bachelors or Masters in a quantitative discipline. Possible disciplines include, but are not limited to, computational biology, bioinformatics, systems biology, bioengineering/biomedical engineering, genomics, computer science, statistics and data science.
- Proven quantitative analysis skills
- Requisite programming skills (one or more of Python/Perl/R/Matlab)
- Independently motivated and detail-oriented
- Excellent organizational, time management, critical-thinking and problem-solving skills
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills
- Experience working in a fast-paced start-up environment helpful
- Experience and domain knowledge in immunology is desirable
- Experience working under a quality system (e.g., GCLP or CLIA) is desirable
What’s in it for you?
Beyond competitive salary and full benefits, including generous paid vacation and 401K with match, at this stage of our development, we offer unparalleled opportunities for professional growth and undiluted equity participation via a stock option program.
We embrace diversity and are committed to equal employment opportunity for all employees and qualified applicants. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion, or any other employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. At this time, we will not be able to sponsor any visas.